Keelby Remembers      BETWEEN THE WARS

All extracts reproduced with the kind permission of Pam Hay and the Keelby Branch of The Workers' Education Association
Barton Street, about 1930
Barton Street, Keelby, about 1930, looking towards Brocklesby, It is difficult to believe that this narrow, leaf-strewn road is now the busy A18


Yarborough Street, 1903
Yarborough Street, now Yarborough Road, photographed about 1903.


Shop in St. Martin's Place in 1930's
Mr Harry Rodgers outside his shop on St. Martin's Place ( now The SPAR Shop ) in the 1930s.


Village Pond
The village pond was at the junction of Pelham Crescent and Dodd's Lane (now Maple Avenue) and was filled in the 1950s.


The Primitive Methodist Chapel
The Primitive Methodist chapel and schoolroom stood in Riby Road, close to the present Post Office. Caddle Road now runs through the site of the schoolroom.


The Church Institute around 1920
The Church Institute around 1920, the centre for much village activity. It is now the Village Hall, and is still a focal point for many leisure and social events in Keelby.


Keelby's oldest house in St. Bartholomew's Close, 1905
Keelby's oldest house, in St. Bartholomew's Close. The single storey stone cottage might have been built as early as the seventeenth century, but the end all clearly shows how they were raised in brick in the nineteenth to provide first floor accommodation. This photograph was taken about 1905.